Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Spring Closet Cleaning


With the Spring Equinox coming up on March 20, 2015, it is time for closet cleaning. This is one of my favourite things to do, since it is not only relaxing and almost like meditation, it also means that you make room for new pieces in your closet. 

One rule I go by when I am cleaning my closet is that I leave out any piece that I have not worn for a year or so. Subsequently I follow the steps I point out below to make the process easier: 

I pull EVERYTHING out of my closet at once, whether it will be sweaters, pants, dresses, jackets, and spread them on the floor. This way I have to go through them all at once. 



I then subcategorize them into similar designs. For instance all black dresses, all sweaters, all summer dresses, long dresses, etc. Then, I can decide which ones I have not used for over a year and which ones I want to keep. 

I used to keep all my T-shirts, sweaters or comfortable pants that I would not wear outside anymore, to wear at home. But recently I have come to the conclusion that if I don't want to wear them outside, why would I want to wear them at home? Why not wear something nice inside that I enjoy? So, I always throw out every piece I wouldn't wear outside. 

For sweaters and any other piece of clothing that I will keep and are foldable, I usually colour cod them and visible.

For hanging garments, it is visually nicer and easier to choose from, when they are hanged from left to right, longer ones to shorter.


What to do with the clothes you don't want anymore?

Donate: Most of the your clothes (that are wearable) can be donated to your local donation centre. Donating has that feel good factor about it too.

Sell: I recently came across this app called Depop (depop.com) which is a combination of Instagram and Craigslist. You can follow people and vice versa, put pictures of your used clothes or anything you want to sell on the app, add your Paypal account to it and try to sell. I am putting my wearable pieces on that app. Please follow me @mshayega.

Happy Spring Cleaning.

M.



No comments:

Post a Comment